A “State of Disaster” has been declared
Melbourne is officially under stage 4 lockdown as of today. The government announced these changes to restrictions as there are large number of cases that are not traceable and Victoria is under threat of seeing high number of cases in the coming days. Today state recorded 671 new cases and seven death and government believe that Stage 3 restrictions are not quick enough to contain the spreading virus.
Melbournians will go into the curfew phase from 6 pm tonight and will be under below tough restrictions from tonight. Police have been given additional powers to enforce below restrictions and these will run for 6 weeks.
- Stay at home from 8 pm to 5 am – unless seeking or providing care or working
- Shop and exercise within 5km radius of your home
- Only one person can go out to shop
- Daily exercise is allowed for one hour per day
- All students will return to home-based learning
Apart from these new restrictions, the government will announce new restrictions for some workplaces tomorrow.
Regional Victoria will move to Stage 3 restrictions and students in regional areas will move back to remote learning as of today.